Friday, October 7, 2011

The Hunger Games

I don't know if I should write about the whole series, or just the first book-since some of you are just diving into Suzanne Collins' amazing trilogy. So, for now, I will just reel about the first book; The Hunger Games. I was immediately riveted by the dystopian world that she painted in the very first chapter. We find the main character, Katniss, leaving the fence surrounding District 12 to, of all things a 16 year old girl could be doing, hunt. She meets up with Gale and I was very intrigued by their relationship, partners on the hunt, in each other’s minds to the point that they can almost communicate without words. I am a sucker for romance and I am always sucked into an original version of the old 'tyrannical government oppression', and this book had both. It was a YA book like none other that I had ever experienced. Katniss was such an amazingly unique character, you route for her and admire her the minute she stands into her younger sisters place. Throwing herself into almost certain death. Then in the Hunger games you are amazed by her resourcefulness, while at the same time wishing that she could be more romantically inclined. PEETA, how I loved his genuineness! It was, and I know that it is silly to say about a very sci-fi-esk book, amazingly realistic. I mean how romantic is a girl growing up in district 12 supporting her family by the shot of her bow, not to mention the whole kill or be killed atmosphere in the arena, going to be? Anyway before I run on too much and ruin this amazing story I will conclude with a simple, I loved this read!-Cyndi

18 comments:

  1. AMAZING!! There is no surprise in all the praise for The Hunger Games. Author Suzanne Collins is a genius when is comes to writing. She creates an amazing world that is a non stop thrill ride of struggle, love, action, passion, and raw emotion. When I read this book I made sure that everyone I knew read it, and everyone that read it had finished it in two days(these books are not small) and they all fell in love with it. There are three books in the series The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. You will without a doubt fall in love with almost every character your introduced to. Cyndi and I agree though that this isn't quit the young adult book that it was labeled, so word of caution this is one of the most amazing books I have ever read but it is dark. Its is mostly full of death, struggle, and suffering, and although that doesn't sound like a book to run out and get, IT IS! So just to be clear... Cyndi and I both recommend The Hunger Games series so go get it, read it, and then let us know what you think!
    -Amanda B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA good thing you only wrote about the first because I just started the second and I could not put this book down! I don't know if i should have read it right now after everything that happened (you two know) because it is a very depressing book I guess thats the only thing that I wish would have been diffrent about this book is that the characters could have been a little older but that could have ruined the whole book so it is a bit of a conflict for me! but don't you guys ruin the second or third book for me if you do I will be very upset :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya that is why when we talked I was all studdery, vuz I didn't want to give the book away but I wanted to give you a little heads up! And don't worry we will give nothing away! Soooo what was your favorite part?
    -Amanda B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When they told them all that they could team up with thier other tribute from thier district. I was like YAY!!! cuz I didn't want Peeta to die
    :( what was yours?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Peeta to!! I loved the end of it and how they were going to end the hunger games, when its just Katness and Peeta left! I don't want to say to much. Do you know what I'm talkin about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeh I finished the whole first book already lol I don't feel like the second one has grabbed me as fast as the first one did :( i hope it gets better

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it does!! Trust me, and the end will leave you speechless!! :)
    -Amanda B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha I know I just got to the part where they meet the girls that left district 8! but just barely so don't give anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so let me know what you thought!! I am about to start mockingjay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha I kind of knew what was going to happen a little like not everything but the minute they said district 13 could be real I knew it was i just started Mockingjay today and i have a feeling its going to be the best one of the series
    Cyndi, which book was your favorite?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well the first two are almost seperate entities, Mockingjay is very little like the first two. It isn't so much a love triangle set in a war torn time, it is a story of war and what it does to those on the front lines. So I loved them as a whole, I will go into it deeper when you slackers have finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm over half way done with it! its really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So I finished the third book I didn't really like the ending or the whole book really and I like the first one the best its my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just started the third so don't say to much but cyndi said the same thing about not liking the third!

    -Amanda B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you see what I mean about the third being so different from the first two? I didn't really like the last 1/3 of the 3rd book at first, but the more that I thought about the idea behind it-I liked the message and the point it was trying to put across. I will tell you what I mean when Amanda is done :)
    -cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeh I think I know what you mean. I just feel like she tried to fit so much in the last part that I got lost alot and had to go back and look at stuff and I hate having to do that. I feel like she could have almost made another book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damnit quit talking about this book!! I officially close this blog! :) until I'm done!
    -Amanda B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the hunter games!!!!! liked catching fire too, have yet read the third.and if i had to choose it would be gale not peeta, even though i do like how self sacrificing peeta is despite how harsh katniss can be. its sweet
    -Korrin l. Cyndi's niece

    ReplyDelete