Friday, January 24, 2014

Guest post, Loni Townsend


Profiling Characters with Music

 

It started when Shakira's Whenever, Wherever poured from my headphones and into my brain. The scene came alive in my imagination, and I knew that song embodied my character.

 

Granted, not everything fit. My character, Derek, is male. Some of the physical attributes Shakira sings about just don't apply. But the passion, surety, and obsession? Totally.

 

That doesn't always translate out onto paper while I'm writing. But it lingers there, in the back of my mind, shaping my character and waiting to come out.

 

Does that ever happen to you?

 

Some songs click, and my characters take on deeper dimensions. Or maybe a new character flares to life. My self-aware military commander, Cameron, has a bit of a thing for a girl. The songs Next Contestant by Nickelback and In the Next Room by Neon Trees fit him in my mind. But Some Nights by fun. also made the list. A different character, Kaio, would do anything for his brother. He's associated with You're Gonna Go Far Kid by Offspring. MaTisha can be a bit controlling and demanding. You and I by Lady GaGa added a bit of a playful side to her in my mind.

 

My debut novel, Thanmir War, oddly has the shortest playlist out of all my stories. In addition to the songs listed above, there is:

·         Why Don't You and I by Santana, featuring Chad Kroeger 

·         Devil's Dance Floor by Flogging Molly

·         ET (Album version) by Katy Perry

·         Psycho by Puddle of Mudd

·         Smooth by Santana, featuring Rob Thomas

 

 

 

Here is the YouTube playlist for your listening enjoyment:

 


 

What about you? Do you have music that moves you to write?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the guest post, Loni! It's great :) And yes, I totally do have playlists when I'm writing, although I haven't found songs to match my characters. At least, not yet!

    ReplyDelete